Saturday, February 16, 2019

Auction: February 9, 2019 Garden Party Large paper flowers

 I used various dies for the large flowers throughout the auction.  I had spent a lot of time looking at different flowers and I loved the really huge ones.  I decided not to go that route in the end as those usually take a lot of paper and can be expensive to make just one.  I had a gym to decorate and I wanted to make my budget next to nothing.  All these big flowers, except for the red ones, came from 1 large mixed package of cardstock from Office Depot.  Each flower takes 8 pages of paper. 
 I do like using the cardstock for these flowers,  it makes them very durable.  I made my large ones a little different from the instructions.  The petals aren't joined except for the 2 center pieces.  I used a 3" circle as the base to glue the petals down.  By having the petals as individual petals and not joined, I found I could make them a little bigger.
 I used David Tutera Framelits Large Rose, Large Dahlia, and Large Peony, and Leaf dies.  I also used my Cricut Explore Air to make large leaves and berries to add some interest.

 When I first made flowers, I tried to make them more 3-dimensional.  After a while, meaning I had used up a small package of white and red card stock, I realized these were going to be hard to attach to a wall.  I put these in a box and switched to making all my other large flower lay flatter.  When I went to make all the board designs and came on the box of these flowers, I didn't know what to do with them.  I had made a lot and didn't want to waist them, so they became bleacher decorations. 


 I wanted to spruce up our gym bathrooms a little so flowers went in there as well.
 As you can see, the problem with a gym is that things tend not to stick.  I had to be careful not to use anything that would mess up the paint or would be permanent.  I used repositionable glue dots but we had to add a few more to some of them.


This was my version of a flower wall.  There are 2 large insulation boards in the back.  I covered the whole thing in brown craft paper and then stapled all the flowers to it.  I added leaves and butterflies.  I really like the look of adding them.  I think the add extra interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment