Monday, February 23, 2015

Sewing: Star Wars Dresses



Here's my first sewing project for the year.  This is the Washi Dress I made for the school auction.  It's cotton Star Wars fabric I bought from JoAnn and the collar was from my stash.  I used the higher waist option.  I really like this fabric, especially since it's getting softer the more I wash it.  I really like how it fits and is very comfortable to wear.  From a distance, the fabric doesn't scream Star Wars, but it's distinctive enough that people take a second look.
  I had enough left over Star Wars fabric to make a skirt and top.  The skirt and top are Vogue 8889.  I lined the skirt with cotton but I'm thinking it's too stiff.  I'll have to see how it looks once it's been washed a few times.  I like the fact that the skirt has pockets but because they are right in front, if you put anything useful in them, like a cell phone, it will bulge out.  I also debated on what style of top I was going to make with this fabric.  I've made this top before in pieces of homespun and I really liked how that draped.  This is a quilter's cotton so it's a bit stiff.  I'm hoping it will relax some more after washing.  I made a size 18 but I could have been a size or 2 smaller.  The only adjustment I made to the pattern was to close the v 3" higher as it was a very low v.  Overall I think this will be a good summer outfit.

No comments:

Post a Comment